Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Quest For The Perfect Pool Hall Chili Dog


Come with me if you will on a quest to create the perfect pool hall chili dog. This is my second attempt, and it turned out mighty good. But, this is a long journey where patience will reward us with a dog like none other. Check out the video of my second shot.

What you’ll need:

1.2 pounds of ground sirloin beef (you know how the grocery store never gives you a pack with an even pound)
1 medium to large onion, chopped pretty finely
1 can of Rotel (not drained despite what I say in the video)
4 Tablespoons of yellow mustard
2 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, spilling a little off the spoon
3 teaspoons of chili powder

Brown the beef and onion in a skillet, then drain very well. Add to another pot with the other ingredients and bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour or two. Brown Nathan’s all beef franks on a skillet, splayed open so they can act as a cradle for the chili. Then serve the dog and chili on a bun toasted with some butter and a touch of garlic powder. It is quite tasty, but I still have not gotten the tomato end of the deal just right.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound great!

Anonymous said...

Frank, the Cordelle pool hall chili dog was topped with grated cheese, diced onions and oyster crackers. They were great. Your viewers might want to try adding these items. You are right pool hall chili is typically a very simple chili. I believe the Cordelle chili was a variation on Cincinatti's skyline chili, without the ginger. David

Anonymous said...

Frank, I was searching for Pool Hall Chili and found your site. Their used to be a couple of places in Corbin, Ky called "The Fad" and the "Dixie Dog", both served pool hall chili. I know for a face that both put corn flake crumbs in the chili. I dont know how or in what method but they did. Thought I would pass along and can maybe help you out.